Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Say What You Mean

I feel like lately I have been seeing a lot of "touch feely" talk to advertise what is supposed to be Christian events. I am finding it a bit more frustrating the more I see them.

I understand that "church talk" can turn people off to events or even conversations with people, but at the same time cheesy fluff does the same thing. For example I saw an event on facebook that is hosted by a Christian ministry that stated "I know our hearts have been on some exciting journeys over the summer, come to our bbq so we can discuss the journey of our hearts and how we have been impacted by the events that cross our journeys. Let us all respect each other's journeys and spend the night in conversation".

I have absolutely now idea what they are talking about. Are they saying "we are getting together to talk about what God is doing in our lives"? It seems like that would be a fantastic idea. It is important to discuss what God has been doing in our lives.

I think I am just getting a little weary of the shift we are making from naming the driving force in our lives (Jesus) and instead talking about how we are having different "heart journeys" (this is just an example of it).

I don't say this to gripe about what other's are doing so much as to encourage anyone who reads this to not be afraid to say what it is that is working in your life. Let's put a name to the thing we have put our faith in. Let us not water down the message of Jesus to make an event seem more open than it is. This does not mean just talk as though you are holier than thou...but be real. Be authentic about who you trust in. Let us not be afraid to say the name "Jesus"...even at our "Christian" events.

I feel like we at times can lose the truth of the freedom that is found in Jesus' name. I feel it is summed well in David Crowder's version of "For A Thousand Tongues To Sing" where he writes the extra bridge that says "There are so few words that never get old...Jesus"

Let us content for the faith that has been handed down to the saints (this is from Jude...not as in "Hey Jude" but the book of the Bible).

Anyway, just my thoughts. I don't mean to sound like a jerk, but if I do feel free to make the following statement to me...

No comments: