Wednesday, March 19, 2008

With Justice For All - John Perkins (was this book written by a third grade dropout?)


It was. John Perkins, founder of Voice of Calvary Ministries, is a third grade dropout, and a great author.

I really do not read a lot of social justice books. I think the reason I don't is due to a lack of theological correctness that tends to permeate those books.

However, I decided to read this book partially out of curiosity and partially because I got it in my Relevant network pack.

This book takes everything that I do not like about social justice books and throws it out the window. You do not have to move away from good theology to preach a holistic gospel that is concerned with the whole person.

Perkins does a great job of outlining a three step plan for dealing with the poverty that is in this culture. His ideas are based on his experiences with his work trying to break the cycle of wealth and poverty and Mississippi. He intertwines scripture (used in context) as well as a plea for people to get involved.

I would highly recommend this book. It is by far the best book written by a third grade dropout that I have ever read.

No comments: